The present syllabus reinforces the ideas introduced till the secondary classes. It provides the students with new concepts along with an extended exposure to contemporary areas of the subject. The syllabus also aims at emphasizing on the underlying principles that are common to both animals and plants as well as highlighting the relationship of biology with other areas of knowledge. The format of the syllabus allows a simple, clear, sequential flow of concepts without any jarring jumps. The syllabus also stresses on making better connections among biological concepts. It relates the study of biology to real life through the use of technology. It links the discoveries and innovations in biology to everyday life such as environment, industry, health and agriculture. The updated syllabus also focuses on reducing the curriculum load while ensuring that ample opportunities and scope for learning and appreciating basic concepts of the subject continue to be available within its framework.
The prescribed syllabus is expected to:
- Promote understanding of basic principles of Biology
- Encourage learning of emerging knowledge and its relevance to individual and society
- Promote rational/scientific attitude to issues related to population, environment and development
- Enhance awareness about environmental issues, problems and their appropriate solutions
- Create awareness amongst the learners about diversity in the living organisms and developing respect for other living beings
- Appreciate that the most complex biological phenomena are built on essentially simple processes.
It is expected that the students would get an exposure to various branches of Biology in the syllabus in a more contextual and friendly manner as they study its various units.