Home Science as a discipline aims to empower learners by developing understanding of five different areas namely:
- Food and Nutrition
- Human Development, Childhood Studies
- Resource Management
- Fabric and Apparel Science
- Development Communications and Extension
The subject helps students to understand changing needs of Indian society, academic principles as well as develop professional skills.
This would make them competent to meet challenges of becoming a responsible citizen.
Objectives: The syllabus at Senior Secondary level develops an understanding in the learners that the knowledge and skills acquired through Home Science facilitates development of self, family and community. It endeavours to –
- Acquaint learners with the basics of human development with specific reference to self and child.
- Help to develop skills of judicious management of various resources.
- Enable learners to become alert and aware consumers.
- Impart knowledge of nutrition and lifestyles to enable prevention and management of diseases.
- Inculcate healthy food habits.
- Help to develop understanding of textiles for selection and care of clothes.
- Develop skills of communication to assist in advocacy and dissemination of knowledge to community.