B.U.M.S. (Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery) is an undergraduate program in Unani traditional medicine practiced in Middle- East and South-Asian countries. Unani System of Medicine is holistic in nature and takes into account the whole personality of the individual rather than targeting just the symptoms of a disease. The fundamental principles of Unani system of Medicine are – a) Umoor-e-Taba’iyah (Natural/ Basic components), b) Mawaleed-e- Salasa (Trimatter theory), c) Asbaabe Sitta Zarooriya (Six essential factors), d) The Priciples of Diagnosis, and e) The Principles of Treatment.
Unani system of medicine is based on SEVEN natural and basic components called “Umoor-e-Tabaiyah” which is mainly responsible to maintain the health. According to Unani, the functioning of human body is altered by these seven factors – 1. Arkaan (elements) 2. Mizaj (temperament) 3. Akhlaat (humours) 4. Aa’za (organs) 6. Arwaah (spirit/vital forces) 7. Quw’a (faculty/energy) 7. Afa’al (functions/actions). Apart from these basic components, the SIX essential factors responsible for the health as well as disease of the body are – a) Hawa (Air), b) Maakool wa mashroob (Food & drink), c) Harkat wa Sokoon-e-Badani (physical movement & repose), d) Harkat wa Sokoon-e-Nafsani (mental movement & repose), e) Naum wa Yaqza (sleeping habits), and f) Ihtebas wa Istifragh (retention & evacuation).
Students who aspire to become a Doctor, but are not able to secure a M.B.B.S. seat would generally prefer B.D.S., B.H.M.S., B.A.M.S., B.U.M.S., B.S.M.S., or B.N.Y.S. The duration of B.U.M.S. course in India is 5.5 years with 4.5 years of classroom study and ONE year compulsory internship. On completion of the program, students are eligible to prefix “Dr.” before their name and to be called as a Doctor (Hakim). BUMS course is governed by the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), which is the statutory apex body working under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Department of AYUSH.
Eligibility for B.U.M.S.
The minimum eligibility for securing admission to BUMS program is clearing HSC(10+2) or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English from a recognized board. According to the latest notification issued by Ministry of AYUSH, admission to BHMS, BAMS and BUMS will be based on NEET scores. Hence students should also clear NEET (UG) conducted by CBSE for admission to BUMS.
B.U.M.S. Course Fee in India
The Course Fee for BUMS vary with Institutions. The Fee in Central/State Govt. Funded Institutions are heavily subsidized and may cost you around Rs.5000 to Rs. 10,000 per Annum. The course fee in other institutions under All India Quota may cost you anywhere between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.2 lakhs annually. The course fee in Private Medical Colleges & Universities are not defined, it can be anywhere around Rs.2 to Rs.5 lakhs per Annum.
Top TEN Medical Colleges for B.U.M.S.
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences, Vijaywada
- Government Nizamia Tibbi College, Hyderabad
- Government Takmil-Ut-Tib College and Hospital, Lucknow
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka
- Ayurvedic and Unani Tibbia College and Hospital, Delhi
- Government Unani Medical College, Chennai
- Kashmir Tibbia College, Srinagar, J&K
- Government Tibbi College and Hospital (GTCH), Patna
- Aligarh Unani & Ayurvedic Medical College & ACN Hospital, Aligarh
Syllabus / Subjects in B.U.M.S.
The BUMS program train students to acquire knowledge and skills for diagnosing and treating many diseases affecting Humans through Unani System of Medicine
- Tashreeh-ul-Badan (Anatomy)
- Munafe-ul-aza (Physiology)
- Mantiq, Falsafa wa Haiyat
- Ilmul Advia I (Kulliyat & Mufradat)
- Ilmul Advia II (Murakkabat & Saidla)
- Ilmul Amraz and Sareeriyat (Pathology & Bed side clinic)
- Ilmul Samoom and Tib-e-Qanooni (Medical Jurisprudence & Toxicology)
- Tahaffuzi-o-Samaji Tib [Hygiene (Hifzan-e-Sehat)]
- Moalijat I
- Moalijat II
- Jarahiyat (Surgery)
- Amraz-e-Ain, Uzn, Anaf wa Halaq (Ophthalmology & ENT)
- Ilmul Qabala Niswan wa Atfal (Gyae, Obs. & Paed.)
Post Graduation after B.U.M.S.
After B.U.M.S. aspirants can persue M.D./M.S (Unani) in the following discipline
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Kulliyat-Umoor-e-Tabiya (Basic Principles of Unani Medicine)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Munefe-ul-Aza (Physiology)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Ilmul Advia (Pharmacology)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Ilmus Saidla (Pharmacy)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Tahaffuzi-wa-Samaji Tib (Preventive and Social Medicine)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Ilmul Atfal (Paediatrics)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Moalijat (Medicine)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Ilmul Amraz (Pathology)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Ilaj Bit Tadabeer (Regimental Therapy)
- M.D. (Mahir-e-Tib ) in Amraz-e-Jild-o-Zohrawayia (Dermatology and Veneriel diseases)
- M.S. (Mahir-e-Jarahat) in Tashreeh-ul-Badan (Anatomy)
- M.S. (Mahir-e-Jarahat) in Ilmul Jarahat (Surgery)
- M.S. (Mahir-e-Jarahat) in Amraze-e-Uzn, Anaf-wa-Halaq (Diseases of ear, nose and throat)
- M.S. (Mahir-e-Jarahat) in Ilmul Qabalat-wa-Amraz-e-Niswan (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
Career Options after B.U.M.S.
- Start your own Clinic
- Lecturer in any Unani Medical College
- Government Unani Doctor in Government hospital
- Unani Doctor in Private hospital
- Clinical Research field
- Medical Officer
- Medical consultant