B.S.M.S. (Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Surgery) is an undergraduate program in Siddha System of Medicine, which is the most ancient among the AYUSH (Ayurvedha, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) systems. According to Siddha philosophy, the psychological and physiological functions of human body are controlled by SEVEN elements – saram (plasma), cheneer (blood), ooun (muscle), kozhuppu (fat), elumbu (bone), moolai (nerve) and inthiriyam (semen). These seven elements are activated by three Mukkuttram – vatha (air), pitha (fire or heat or energy) and kapha (water). The imbalance of any of these Mukkuttram results in disease and Siddha System of Medicine corrects the vitiated Mukkuttram for healthy life.
Students who aspire to become a Doctor, but are not able to secure a M.B.B.S. seat would generally prefer B.D.S., B.H.M.S., B.A.M.S., B.U.M.S., B.S.M.S., or B.N.Y.S. The duration of B.S.M.S. course in India is 5.5 years with 4.5 years of classroom study and ONE year compulsory internship. On completion of the program, students are eligible to prefix “Dr.” before their name and to be called as a Doctor. B.S.M.S. course is governed by the Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM), which is the statutory apex body working under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Department of AYUSH.
Eligibility for B.S.M.S.
The minimum eligibility for securing admission to B.S.M.S. program is clearing HSC(10+2) or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English from a recognized board. According to the latest notification issued by Ministry of AYUSH, admission to BHMS, BAMS and BUMS will be based on NEET scores. Hence students should also clear NEET (UG) conducted by CBSE for admission to B.S.M.S.
B.S.M.S. Course Fee in India
The Course Fee for B.S.M.S. vary with Institutions. The Fee in Central/State Govt. Funded Institutions are heavily subsidised and may cost you around Rs.5000 to Rs. 10,000 per Annum. The course fee in other institutions under All India Quota may cost you anywhere between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.2 lakhs annually. The course fee in Private Medical Colleges & Universities are not defined, it can be anywhere around Rs.1 to Rs.3 lakhs per Annum.
Top TEN Medical Colleges for B.S.M.S.
- Government Siddha Medical College, Chennai
- Government Siddha Medical College, Palayamkottai
- Government Siddha Medical College, Palani
- Sri Sai Ram Siddha Medical College, Chennai
- R.V.S. Siddha Medical College & Hospital, Coimbatore
- A.T.S.V.S Siddha Medical College, Kanyakumari
- Velu Mailu Siddha Medical College, Sriperumbudur
- Sivaraj Siddha Medical College, Salem
- Santhigiri Siddha Medical College, Tiruvananthapuram
Syllabus / Subjects in B.S.M.S.
- Siddha Maruthuva Adippadai Thathuvangalum Varalarum (History and Fundamental Principles of Siddha Medicine)
- Tamil Language or Communicative English (wherever applicable)
- Uyir Vedhiyal (Bio-Chemistry)
- Maruthuva Thavara lyal (Medicinal Botany and Pharmacognosy)
- Nunnuyiriyal (MicroBiology)
- Udal Koorugal (Anatomy)-Paper I
- Udal Koorugal (Anatomy) -Paper II
- UdalThathuvam (Physiology) -Paper I
- UdalThathuvam (Physiology) -Paper II
- Gunapadam -Paper I (MateriaMedica – Mooligai – Plant kingdom)
- Gunapaadam -Paper II (MateriaMedica -Thathu and Vilanginam -Metals, Minerals and Animal kingdom)
- Noi Naadal -Paper I (Siddha Pathology)
- Noi Naadal -Paper II (Principles of Modern Pathology)
- Noi Anugavidhi Ozhukkam (Hygiene and Community Medicine including National Health Policies and Statistics)
- Sattam Sarntha Maruthuvamum Nanju Maruthuvamum (Forensic Medicine and Toxicology)
- Research Methodology and Medical-Statistics
- Maruthuvam (Medicine)
- Varmam, Puramaruthuvam and Sirappumaruthuvam (Varmam Therapy, External Therapy and Special medicine)
- Aruvai, Thol Maruthuvam (Surgery including dentistry and Dermatology)
- Sool, Magalir Maruthuvam (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Kuzhanthai Maruthuvam (Paediatrics)
Post Graduation after B.S.M.S.
The B.S.M.S. program train students to acquire knowledge and skills for diagnosing and treating many diseases affecting Humans through Siddha System of Medicine.
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Maruthuvam
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Gunapadam
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Sirappu Maruthuvam
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Kuzhandai Maruthuvam (Pillaipini Maruthuvam)
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Noi Nadal
- M.D. (Siddha Maruthuva Perarignar) in Nanju Noolum Maruthuva Neethi Noolum
Career Options after B.S.M.S.
- Start your own Clinic
- Lecturer in any Siddha Medical College
- Government Siddha Doctor in Government hospital
- Siddha Doctor in Private hospital
- Hospital Management / Administration (After MBA in Hospital Management)
- Clinical Research field
- Medical Officer
- Medical consultant