B.P.O. (Bachelor in Prosthetics and Orthotics) is an undergraduate program in the field of Prosthetic and Orthotics. Prosthetics and Orthotics is a rehabilitative treatment of locomotor disabilities or neuromuscular disorder. Prosthetics deals with the designing of artificial replacement of lost body part to enhance the function and lifestyle of persons. Orthotics deals with the mechanical correction of the function of movable parts of the body due to orthopaedic deformities.
Students who aspire to become a medical professional, but are not able to secure a M.B.B.S. seat or its equivalent would generally prefer Paramedical courses like B.P.T., B.O.T., B.P.O. or B.Pharm. The duration of B.P.O. course in India is 4.5 years with FOUR years of classroom study and SIX months compulsary internship (Three months in Prosthetics and Three months in Orthotics).
Eligibility for B.P.O.
The minimum eligibility for securing admission to B.P.O. program is clearing HSC(10+2) or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English from a recognized board. Many institutions/Colleges conduct Entrance Test for admission to B.P.O. program.
B.P.O. Course Fee in India
The Course Fee for B.P.O. vary with Institutions. The Fee in Central/State Govt. Funded Institutions are heavily subsidised and may cost you around Rs.5000 to Rs. 10,000 per Annum. The course fee in other institutions under All India Quota may cost you anywhere between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.1 lakh annually. The course fee in Private Medical Colleges & Universities are not defined, it can be anywhere around Rs.1 lakh to Rs.2 lakhs per Annum.
Top TEN Colleges for B.P.O.
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- National Institute for Locomotor Disabilities (Divyangjan), Kolkatha
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Pt Deendayal Upadhyaya Institute for the Physically Handicapped, New Delhi
- Chakradhara Institute Of Rehabilitation Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru
- ISHWAR Institute of Prosthetics and Orthotics, Chennai
- Pt. Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak
- Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University, Chitrakoot, UP
- National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research, Cuttack
Syllabus / Subjects in B.P.O.
- Workshop Technology
- Material Science
- Applied Mechanics
- Strength of Materials
- Basic Electronics
- Prosthetic Science
- Orthotic Science
- Mobility and rehabilitation Aids
- Amputation Surgery & Imaging Science
- Psychology & Sociology
- Computer Science & graphical communication
- Assistive Technology
Post Graduation after B.P.O.
After securing B.P.O. degree, aspirants can pursue post graduation in
M.P.O. – Master in Prosthetics and Orthotics
Apart from this, they can also pursue non medical course like
- MBA in Hospital Management
- MBA in Health Care Management
- Master in Public Health
Career Options after B.P.O.
- Start your own rehabilitation centres
- Start your own Manufacturing unit
- Lecturer in Training institutions in India and abroad
- Prosthetics and Orthotics in Manufacturing unit
- Hospital Management / Administration (After MBA in Hospital Management)
- Health Consultants