B.O.T. (Bachelor of Occupational Therapy) is an undergraduate program in Occupational Therapy (OT). An Occupational therapist does not directly treats a persons injury, but aids the injured, physically or mentally challenged people to lead a normal as well as independent lifestyle. They train the patients to use assistive equipment and also modify the Home/Work environment to accomplish their daily activities without dependence.
Students who aspire to become a medical professional, but are not able to secure a M.B.B.S. seat or its equivalent would generally prefer Paramedical courses like B.P.T., B.O.T., B.P.O. or B.Pharm. The duration of B.O.T. course in India is 4.5 years with FOUR years of classroom study and SIX months compulsory internship.
Eligibility for B.O.T.
The minimum eligibility for securing admission to B.O.T. program is clearing HSC(10+2) or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English from a recognized board. Many institutions/Colleges conduct Entrance Test for admission to B.O.T. program.
B.O.T. Course Fee in India
The Course Fee for B.O.T. vary with Institutions. The Fee in Central/State Govt. Funded Institutions are heavily subsidized and may cost you around Rs.5000 to Rs. 10,000 per Annum. The course fee in other institutions under All India Quota may cost you anywhere between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.1 lakh annually. The course fee in Private Medical Colleges & Universities are not defined, it can be anywhere around Rs.1 lakh to Rs.2 lakhs per Annum.
Top TEN Colleges for B.O.T.
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mumbai
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Institute of Physically Handicapped, New Delhi
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Chakradhara Institute of Rehabilitation Science, Bhubaneshwar
- College of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
- G.S. Seth Medical College, Mumbai
- Occupation Therapy Training School, Mumbai
- S.R.M. Institute of Medical Science and Research, Chennai
- K.M.C.H. College of Occupational Therapy, Coimbatore
Syllabus / Subjects in B.O.T.
- Occupational Therapy
- Microbiology and Pathology
- Biostatistics and Research Methodology
- Clinical Orthopedic & Rheumatology
- Clinical Neurology
- Occupational Therapy in Orthopedics
- Occupational Therapy in Neurology
- Occupational Therapy in Rehabilitation
- Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry
- Community Medicine and Sociology
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Occupational Therapy in Mental Health
- Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics and Developmental Disabilities
Post Graduation after B.O.T.
After securing B.O.T. degree, aspirants can pursue post graduation with M.O.T. in various fields like
- M.O.T. in Developmental Disabilities
- M.O.T. in Hand and Musculoskeletal Conditions
- M.O.T. in Neuro-rehabilitation
- M.O.T. in Mental Health and Psychosocial Rehabilitation.
Apart from this, they can also pursue non medical course like
- MBA in Hospital Management
- MBA in Health Care Management
- Master in Public Health
Career Options after B.O.T.
- Start your own rehabilitation Center
- Lecturer in Training institutions in India and abroad
- Occupational Therapists in Hospitals
- Hospital Management / Administration (After MBA in Hospital Management)
- Special schools
- De-addiction Center
- Health Consultants