Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.) is an undergraduate program in Dentistry. Students who aspire to become a Dentist can pursue Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS). It is an undergraduate program that train students to acquire knowledge and skills for diagnosing and treating Oral diseases. The duration of the course is FIVE years with FOUR years of study and ONE year paid rotating internship. The duration may vary depending on the Internship duration, University and mode of study. It can be pursued either as Full time course or Part time course via Distance Education / correspondence. On completion of the program, students are eligible to prefix “Dr.” before their name and to be called as a Doctor.
B.D.S. Course Fee in India
The Course Fee for BDS vary with Institutions. The Fee in Central/State Govt. Funded Institutions are heavily subsidized and may cost you around Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 10,000 per annum. The course fee in other institutions under All India Quota may cost you anywhere between Rs. 50,000 to Rs.2 lakhs annually. The course fee in Private Medical Colleges & Universities are not defined, it can be anywhere around Rs.10 lakhs per annum.
Eligibility for B.D.S.
The minimum eligibility for securing admission to BDS program is clearing HSC(10+2) or equivalent examination with at least 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English from a recognized board. Students should also clear NEET (UG) conducted by CBSE for MBBS and BDS admission.
Top TEN Dental Colleges for B.D.S. in India
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal
- Government Dental College, Mumbai
- SDM College of Dental Science & Hospital, Dharwad
- Tamilnadu Govt. Dental College, Chennai
- Faculty of Dental Sciences, King George’s, Lucknow
- Government Dental College, Bangalore
- SRM Dental College, Chennai
- Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere
- Saraswati Dental College and Hospital, Lucknow
Field of Study / Syllabus in BDS
The program helps students acquire knowledge in various fields related to Oral health such as Dental Anatomy, Embryology, Oral Medicine, Oral Pharmacology, Dental Materials, Orthodontics, Oral Pathology, Oral Microbiology, Oral Histology, Tooth Morphology, Surgical Procedures, Oral and Maxillofacial surgery and Public health Dentistry.
Post Graduation after BDS
After securing BDS degree, aspirants can pursue Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) program and specialize in
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Aesthetic dentistry
Apart from MDS, graduates can also pursue MBA in Hospital Management / Administration
Career Options after BDS
- Start your own Dental Clinic
- Lecturer in any Dental College
- Government Job as Dentist in Government hospital
- Dentist in Private hospital
- Hospital Administration ( After MBA in Hospital Management)
- Clinical Research field
Dental Council of India (DCI) in association with Medical Council of India (MCI) has proposed a three-year bridge course in M.B.B.S. for BDS graduates. This proposal will enable BDS graduate to pursue MBBS degree in order meet the shortage of doctors and medical professionals across the nation.